Metropolitan Police Historical Museum
About The Metropolitan Police Historical Museum
The museum is not open to members of the public but is now used as a lecture theatre for the curator to lecture police and like bodies in subjects such as Forensic Science, Pathology, Law and Investigative Techniques. Many dignitiries have visited the museum include Gilbert & Sullivan, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, The Prince of Wales (later to be Edward VII), Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, Jerome K. Jerome, E.W. Hornung and members of the Royal Family. A Historical Archives collection relates not only to interesting exhibits from crime cases (specifically dealt with by the Crime Museum at New Scotland Yard) but a whole range of interesting items and images reflecting the life of London as seen through the eyes of the Police Service dealing with social change in the city streets and ordinary lives of people at times of crisis.
Also ... The Crime Museum ... (which is open) There was no official opening of this museum, and two years elapsed before we find a record of the first visitors. This was on the 6th October 1877 when the Commissioner, Sir Edmund Henderson, KCB, accompanied by the Assistant Commissioners, Lt. Col. Labolmondiere and Capt. Harris, visited with other dignitaries. By now there was a steady increase in the number viewing the displays and the first visitors book, which spans some eighteen years from 1877 to 1894, reads like a current 'Who's Who'. Certainly not all visitors were asked to sign the visitors book but, as instruction in the museum was part of CID training, the museum was in constant use. In 1877 the name 'Black Museum' was coined, when on the 8th April a reporter from 'The Observer' newspaper used the term after being refused a visit by Inspector Neame. However the museum is now referred to as the Crime Museum. In 1890 the museum moved with the Metropolitan Police Office to new premises at the other end of Whitehall, on the newly constructed Thames Embankment. The building, constructed by Norman Shaw RA, and made of granite quarried by convicts on Dartmoor, was called New Scotland Yard. A set of rooms in the basement housed the museum and, although there was no Curator as such, PC Randall was responsible for keeping the place tidy, adding to exhibits, vetting applications for visits and arranging dates for them. The museum was closed during both World Wars, and in 1967, with the move of the Metropolitan Police Headquarters to new premises in Victoria Street, S.W.1, the museum was housed in rooms on the second floor. In 1981 a new, redesigned museum was opened on the first floor. The present museum is in two rooms The first contains an extensive collection of weapons, all of which have been used in murders or serious assaults in London, and displays items from famous cases, generally prior to 1900, such as Jack the Ripper and 'Charlie Peace'. A morbid display, which attracts comment, is the display of the death masks of people hanged at Newgate Prison which adorn a high shelf and look down on visitors. *Image is not necessarily one of the museum.
No longer Open.
Contacting the MuseumPlease do not contact jonniejumble directly about the Metropolitan Police Historical Museum as they will not be able to reply to your mail.
Use the website address or contact numbers below. Thank you.
Metropolitan Police Service New Scotland Yard Broadway London, SW1H 0BG
0300 123 1212